Asking the RWinEdt maintainer directly seems to be more appropriate than asking on R-help.

There is no patch for the package RWinEdt available. Just the release 1.5-0 of that package.

Arnab mukherji wrote:

Hi:

I just tried to install the patch for RWinEdt - there is an automated package ('SWinRegistry' ) which with the rwinedt patch on the CRAN site have to be loaded as packages from R using the local zip drive option.

That works fine. The next step is to call the library(RwinEdt) and this does'nt work out ... the meesages i get are:

install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)

updating HTML package descriptions

install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)

updating HTML package descriptions

install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]), .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)

updating HTML package descriptions

library(RWinEdt)

Error in testRversion(descfile) : This package has not been installed properly
See the Note in ?library
In addition: Warning message: package RWinEdt was built under R version 1.7.1

I am using windows office 2000 and R ver 1.7 and hence the final error message. I have tried it out on ver 1.7.1 too and i Get the same error.

Was wondering if anyone else encountered this problem

Yes. The problem probably is that the package SWinRegistry has not been installed properly.

Unfortunately, the source version is called http://www.omegahat.org/SWinRegistry/SWinRegistry_0.3-2.zip
(Attention: .zip instead of the usual .tar.gz) and the binary version
http://www.omegahat.org/SWinRegistry/SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary.zip
This name is not valid for R's mechanism for installing packages and has to be renamed before installation, or unzip it manually.
I hope these filenames will be changed shortly.

So, for example do:
 - download the binary version
 - rename it to, e.g., SWinRegistry_0.3-2.zip (without the second "_")
 - Now, use the menu to install the package.

Duncan Temple Lang promised to change the names of source/binary packages according to the CRAN conventions, but he seems to be too busy these days. I'll update R-WinEdt's installation instructions with a new release in a couple of days.

Uwe Ligges

thanks

Arnab