Dear statistics and R experts,

I am a new R-user and my statistics is probably more than a bit rusty.  So
forgive me if the following question is relatively simple.

I would like to plot the predicted values from a quantile regression
analysis (quantreg v.3.31; R v.1.7.1) so that I can evaluate the fit.  My
response variable is tree growth (continuous), and my predictor variables
are height (continuous), species (factor with 3 levels), and light (ordered
factor with 3 levels).  I'd like to look at the relationship between growth
and height separately for each combination of species and light.

I am fitting the model using something like:  fit.rq <- rq(growth ~
ht*spp*light, tau = 0.9)

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a predict method for rq objects
(unless I am missing something?).  I can plot the predicted values by using
lines(x, fit), and  I can extract the coefficients from fit.rq using
fit.rq$coef, creating the correct coefficients for a particular level of
spp*light as:  intercept <- fit.rq$coef[1,1] + fit.rq$coef[3,1] + ...; slope
<- fit.rq$coef[2,1] + fit.rq$coef[5,1] ...)  but this seems very slow and
awkward to do for each of the 9 levels (not to mention different values of
tau).  Plus, I would eventually like to do some non-linear fits, and then it
will be even worse.  I'm sure there must be a way to do this with a matrix
of coefficients, if only my poor memory of linear algebra didn't prevent me
from seeing it.

So, my question is, is there a simple straightforward way to generate the
predicted values without having to manually add up all the relevant
coefficients for each level?  Or, even better, is predict.rq out there
somewhere that I haven't found?  The help on rq objects does refer to it,
but ?predict.rq doesn't turn up anything.

Thanks for any help,

Matt Landis

R. Matthew Landis, Ph.D.
Dept. Biology