Thomas Lumley wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Simon Fear wrote:

Is the behaviour of ISOtime() and strptime() determined by ISO
or POSIX standard? Seems not to fit R's "no nannying" policy
at all.

It's determined by your operating system, so you're complaining to the
wrong people.

And since R is written to be portable across multiple OSs, you might get an idea how tricky this becomes. Hence the "iron fist" approach to date handling. Believe me, I've programmed date handling - it's always a terrible, nasty, messy business when international locales and different operating systems clash. I'm stunned it's as good as it is, subtle traps and all.

Cheers

Jason