Hi R-helpers

Has anyone had any experience doing CGI or Servlets or using an httpd server in R?

Context: we are interested in running dynamic demographic calculations on the internet (life tables, and such) in response to form submissions. I might do simple cgi to get started, but loading in data each time seems like it would be quite, quite slow.

I have looked at Rserv, but I am most interested in something non-Java (once Sun goes the way of the dinosaurs, so will that silly language -- come on, flame me, I can take it!)

If there is a project, I might be able to contribute to it. If there isn't, I might start one....

Thanks!
webb