On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 01:55:34PM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Your confusion is that you are trying to run scripts from .First.
> You did not say so, and that is strongly not recommended, especially if
> they might have errors.
My apologies for not making it clear, I was under the impression that
this was a rather "standard" way of running scripts.

> Use R CMD BATCH to run scripts and you will find it much easier.

Well, not really as now error messages do not seem to reflect line
numbers any more, e.g. I get a complaint about the presence
(broken pipe) of a cat() statement at a line number no way near
any cat() statemnt.

BTW, does this imply that when running in batch mode there is no
connection to standard output? Can this be overcome?