Dear R users,

I am trying to fit a GLMM using lmer to a dataset where the brood identity
(LNRREIR) is nested within mothers identity. The reason for this is that
each mother can have several nests within each year and also between years.

I am running the following script (actually I have tried all different
combinations with LNRREIR and mother):

mod <- lmer(sr~z.hatchday  + (1|LNRREIR:mother) + (1|mother),
family=binomial, data=aggrsexfil)

Error in LNRREIR:mother : result would be too long a vector

In addition: Warning messages:

1: numerical expression has 64 elements: only the first used in:
LNRREIR:mother

2: numerical expression has 64 elements: only the first used in:
LNRREIR:mother

Is this the wrong way to specify it or what is happening here?

I am also wondering if only including mother as a random factor, do R
understand that its nested? That is, when there are e.g. 60 different nests
and 40 mothers. Do R then take into account that each mother can have
multiple broods? In that way the nesting seems redundant..?

Thanks for all help!

Best regards,

Arild

Arild Husby (M.Sc.),

Research Technician,

Department of Biology,

Realfagbygget,

Norwegian University of Science and Technology,

N-7491 Trondheim

NORWAY

e-mail:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

mobile: +47 92294412

office : +47 73596266