I have R code to read a binary header file, consisting of several
readBin() and readChar() statements.  I am currently using version R-2.2.1
(on x86_64, RH EL4) and have received the following error

        Error in readChar(fid, n = 1) : invalid UTF-8 input in readChar()

This is strange because (a) I was able to read in this file successfully
in previous versions of R (circa 2005) and (b) it doesn't fail all the
time; i.e., other readChar() statements work.

When I access the header file using a different piece of software, it
gives the value "-1" for the field.

What's going on?

cheers...

Brandon