On 5/8/20 9:17 AM, J C Nash wrote:
Over a week ago (on r-help, my bad!) I raised a question of why the
ubuntu install instructions

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html

instruct users with a xenial-based system to use

deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial-cran40/

Looking at https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
there is no xenial-cran40 directory. However,
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
does have this directory, and I managed to update a machine
still running Linux Mint 18.3 by putting in
deb https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial-cran40/

I suspect novice users might not have found this work-around, and
it was only by chance I found it.

My query: Is it intended that xenial support will not be available
for R 4.0? Or is this this just an oversight? Or some quirk that affects
just my environment? I've tried to ensure caches are updated.

That is a bit odd. CRAN syncs with my server for the Ubuntu directory, which both have the xenial-cran40 directory. So it appears that whomever maintains cloud.r-project.org has not enabled that directory to be synced. I will into that.

I have every intention of supporting Xenial for as long as R still builds against it.
 Michael