On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Hadley Wickham wrote:

I have a shapefile with a number of line features.  I can load it and plot
it.  Is there an easy way to downsample or smooth the shapefile to a coarser
resolution?

?gSimplify in rgeos?

Is there a reason that gSimplify doesn't default to a topology
preserving simplification?

Hi Hadley,

GEOS is neutral, and the GEOS nomenclature is misleading IMO. Because the process treats each ring (polygons) separately, all that is preserved are the nodes where three rings touch, but not the boundaries between two polygons, which may generate empty slivers, or overlap. I would have taken the term to imply that if input rings shared all boundary points between nodes, then they would be simplified identically, but this is not the case. To get this (desirable) behaviour, you need a topological vector GIS, like GRASS. Since I feel that the GEOS name is misleading, the default is FALSE, but I'm open to better ideas.

Roger

Hadley

--
Roger Bivand