Hi Julia,

initial variogram values just need to be sufficiently reasonable from where
to start fitting.
I know about some known rule-of-thumb:

  + sill: the total variance of your data;
  + range: half the diagonal of your bbox;
  + nugget: the measurement error.

You can also decide whether to keep some of these parameters fixed, instead
of being shifted during model fitting: see arguments in ?fit.variogram!

Make sure you have at least ~30 pairs of points per lag, and 10 lags
minimum.
You might also want to increase the resolution of the lags at short
distances, check the `boundaries` arg of variogram()).

Regarding anisotropy, you can read Notes and Examples in ?vgm!

Piero