Jesse,

The clipping of the larger map by a smaller region works perfectly, but the
resulting map (the clipped version) has the data component of the SP object
missing. I can't merge anything if the data component is not there. I have
tried directly using the gintersection function to clip the map but that seems
to fail (waited more than 2 hours for the program to run).
When I run the command: slotNames(czout) I should get an object of name "data"
along with the other 4 components below
but I only get,
I get: [1] "polygons"    "plotOrder"   "bbox"        "proj4string"So, somehow
the "data" object is getting lost. I am fairly new to GIS, I just found the
code for clipping on the sig-geo list and tried it and it worked, but the
"data" object is missing. I know how to merge data but I just can't figure out
how to recover the "data" component of the SP object.

Ravi