On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Roger Bivand wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Nicholas Lewin-Koh wrote:

Hi,
Thanks, I must be remembering something else then. I hope I am not APOE4
+/+.

Hi Nicholas,

When CRAN had few packages, and packages had few dependencies, users could control the licenses of packages loaded into the R engine manually (if they cared - they should!). Now it needs automating, so that from 2.10.0, R ships with a database of known licenses (in share/licences), which are linked in CRAN too. The License: field is now parsed automatically, and will, as I mentioned before but repeat as a "heads up" to others reading this reply, be used to allow users installing packages to set thresholds such as "only free" before long.

"Before long" is now: if the filters= argument in available.packages() is set to "license/FOSS", you can see which are which. It can then be used to verify installed packages and potentially set policies in organisations needing to do that. Work on the graph of dependencies between packages is progressing ...

Roger

Best wishes,

Roger

Nicholas

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:44 +0100, "Edzer Pebesma"