> On Oct 19, 2017, at 11:33 PM, Rainer Krug <rainer_k...@icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> On 19 Oct 2017, at 20:25, Robert Baer <rb...@atsu.edu> wrote:
>>

>> -- snip --

>> Even though its not my question, I appreciate the specific recommendations
>> on best practices for move ahead.

>>> The fact that the original poster had obviously not used MacPorts (and
>>> perhaps did not even know what it was) suggests that the appropriate reply
>>> should be to discourage him from using it and offer a strategy with greater
>>> likelihood of success in combination with the more typical installation
>>> method for the Mac R fork.
>> I  am brand new to this list, but have been using R since about 2000.  The
>> reason I'm here is to translate Mac-speak like "homebrew" and "MacPorts"
>> into grounded advice that lets me use R as effectively on my new Mac as my
>> Windows and Linux machines.
>
> If you know your way around in Linux, I would suggest looking into homebrew -
> it essentially brings the approach of apt (in the case of debian) to a Mac.
> If not, you might be better off with the official R installers. But all work
> equally after installed.

Dear Rainer;

I think it might be a bit more complicated than "just use the same installer
all the time", but am not a user of either homebrew or MacPorts so am speaking
only from reports I have read in this mailing list and SO. Bob Rudis whom I
also respect in such matters has several times made the same suggestion. I
think there may need to be supplemental instructions on setting system
environment variables and also possibly further changes to Makevars files in
some packages being obtained from CRAN or BioC. I have been encouraged by
others to switch to homebrew, but have never found a sufficiently complete
tutorial that appeared to cover these other issues. If you know of one, Rainer,
I think you should share it.

Best;
David.

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> I appreciate John's predicament and this approach to answering his question
>> is highly informative to me as I lurk and learn.   Thanks from this newbie
>> Mac user.
>>
>> --
>>

>> --
>> Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
>> Professor of Physiology
>> Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
>> A T Still University of Health Sciences
>> 800 W. Jefferson St
>> Kirksville, MO 63501
>> 660-626-2321 Department
>> 660-626-2965 FAX
>>

> --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology,
> UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
> University of Zürich
>
> Cell:       +41 (0)78 630 66 57
> email:      rai...@krugs.de
> Skype:      RMkrug
>
> PGP: 0x0F52F982

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
-Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law