Jesse Alama writes:

> On 2 Sep 2018, at 3:05, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
>
>>   http://localhost:34691/servlets/standalone.rkt;(("k" . "(1 1 2810783)"))
>>
>> That's the id used to retrieve the continuation, right?  Presumably
>> this
>> is effectively the session of something someone is doing that's
>> important.  This doesn't look very high entropy... I'm guessing I
>> could
>> manage to intercept someone's continuation/session.  A very large
>> random
>> number would be needed to prevent this.
>
> Another consideration here is to use HTTPS. That way, the URL is not
> exposed: even if I were eavesdropping on your connection, I wouldn't
> have the URL. (I *would* be able to know that you're contacting a
> certain server on a particular port, but that falls short of knowing
> the URL being accessed.)

Hi,

Just FYI the attack I described assumed HTTPS.  The attack is that you
know a URL where these continuation-session URLs are accessed and you
guess numbers within the range until you hit a session.

Within high enough entropy this shouldn't be a problem, but the default
continuation manager appears to use a combination of a linearly
increasing id and (random 100000000) for the "salt".  I think 2^128
random bytes is considered best practice for today, at which case the
linearly increasing id could also be simply dropped.

It does look like the continuation manager is configureable though,
which I had not seen previously.  So I think it would be possible to add
a more secure manager which uses this behavior.