Jim S asked: "My question: what determines the appropriate spindle length
for a given build. Is it the crankset? Is it the frame? Is it something
else?  "

It's the chainline.  Google "Sheldon Brown Chainline" and read that
thoroughly.  From what your read you should have a pretty good guess at
what your chainline should be.  You will definitely know how to measure
your chainline.  If the chainline you have is a lot larger than what it
should be, then you chose the wrong BB spindle, and you'll have a good
guess at what you should be using.  If your chainline is good, then you
likely picked the wrong front der.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA