I guess my view will be considered contrarian, but I've had more than
enough scratchy wool sweaters in my lifetime.  In the last couple of
years I've purchased several merino wool garments.  Some of them
cycling specific, but quite wearable off the bike, especially a Sugoi
Wallaroo 290 long sleeve jersey.  It's a comfy (non-scratchy!) jersey
that I've been wearing a great deal during the unseasonably cold
winter we're experiencing in Southeast Arizona.   Here's a link to the
Sugoi site that shows the jersey:
http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/Bike/Men/Details/1447-68301U-Wallaroo-290-L-S-Jersey

I think the vest that Rivendell is planning to source, however, is a
garment that would be quite useful over a jersey for additional
warmth.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ