Forwarded from Christine Howes:

RE: INTERNATIONAL YOUTH  PARLIAMENT 2000,
19 to 28 October 2000,
Sydney,Australia

It is my pleasure to introduce the International Youth Parliament 2000
(IYP
2000) that I am a part of. I am also a member of it's Indigenous Youth
Advisory Committee. We really want to get the message out to other
indigenous young people about what it is and more importantly get some
indigenous representation in applications although of course not only.
Also
young people interested in having an on line advisory/discussion role.

The parliament itself is an exciting and innovative event taking place
in
Sydney, Australia from 19 to 28 October 2000 following the 2000
Olympics.
The IYP 2000 will assemble young people from around the world who are
working for social change. IYP 2000, hosted by Community Aid Abroad
(Oxfam
Australia), is an active step towards empowering the world's future
leaders
to work together to effect positive social change.

There is a particular focus on unrepresented nations, so we are really
keen
to encourage any help we can from others through utilising contacts,
distributing information, getting involved in discussion and any helpful
information or advise you may have especially for the Indigenous Youth
Advisory Committee.

I should mention that as of yet the advisory committee has been for
Australia only and we are not assuming to make any decisions on behalf
of
international indigenous communities however are really keen to hear
from
them. As we are keen to get some input for the agenda discussion on the
three main areas of focus which are 'Breaking the Cycle of
Poverty'(including education, youth employment and technology); 'Youth
in
Conflict' and 'Cultural Activism'.

Delegates selected to attend IYP 2000 will receive a unique opportunity
exchange their experiences and the strategies they employ to confront
local
and universal challenges. They will leave with skills, networks,
inspiration
and an international context to assist them with their endeavours in
their
own organisations and countries.

The IYP2000 Selection Committee will select two (2) suitable delegates
from
each country for this purpose we are including unrepresented nations as
countries. We are seeking applications from people aged 15-28 who are
passionate about and have been actively involved in projects aiming at
positive social change in the above areas. We encourage all interested
people to apply. Applications close 30th May 2000. The IYP2000 Selection
Panel (located in Sydney, Australia) will notify successful applicants
by
the end of June 2000. Two delegates will be chosen from each country by
the
IYP2000 Selection Panel.

If you are from an organisation, I ask that you consider supplying the
nominated applicant from your organisation with financial support should
they be selected to attend the IYP2000. A very limited amount of funding
may
be available to support some delegates.

Feel free to contact myself (on the below email address) or Jane Higgins
on
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] for information,
or if you are interested in how you
can help online ie: online discussion or otherwise .

Look forward to hearing from you
Yours in respect

Dameeli Coates
(<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Indigenous Youth Advisory Committee

International Youth Parliament 2000
Community Aid Abroad/Oxfam Australia
ph.61 2 9264 1399 fx. 61 2 9264 1476