>Hi Tim,
>
>Surely it is terrible that a government would return someone to a place
>where they claim they were tortured  without first ensuring that any such
>claims are false.

Hi Laurie - yeah, it is beyond obvious that it is, if, as you say, the claim
is true.  My question is really to do with how the torture convention fits
into this.  Don't our immigration procedures allow investigation of such
claims?  I'm happy that a mechanism to investigate torture claims should
exist - and yeah, so what if some abuse them; you're analogy works fine for
me.  But I guess my question is: is this what is happening, people are
claiming to be torture victims and they're being sent back without
investigation?  And where does the UN convention fit in?  I'm pretty clear
on the broad principles, but completely ignorant of the technical detail.

Thanks

Tim