Jacob M Jacob writes:
 > hello  ,        I am currently working on a project on Device Driver  for a Modem in
 >LINUX . But I am very
 > much confused about the modem commands and initialization . Can you please help me
 >in initializing
 > the modem and if possible send me a program which can give commands to the modem to
 >make it work.
 >                                                                 Thank you ,

Most modems support the AT command set.  This you can find somewhere I'm
sure, but is usually issued with your modem.

For exmaple:

ATZ             = reset the modem
ATDT5551212     = gives you a dial tone and dial the number
ATS11=0         = Sets dialing speed to fast
ATL1            = Set modem speaker loudness

There are a lot of them.  Some of them will be unique to the modem.  Hence the
use of the initialization string.

I do not know a thing about win modems and if this applies to them or not.
I suspect in win modems that this command set is interpreted by software
(a driver) which then does the right thing.