[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>  Conflicts: glibc < 2.1.90 Is what I removed from the db1 db2 and db3
> SPEC files And here follows the actual attempt at install.

> # rpm -ivh db1-1.85-4.i386.rpm  error: failed dependencies:
>         glibc < 2.1.90 conflicts with db1-1.85-4

[root@possum /]# rpm -qi db2
Name: db2                          Relocations: /usr
Version: 2.4.14                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release: 4                             Build Date: Fri 18 Aug 2000
09:09:46 AM WST
Install date: Sat 11 Nov 2000 11:39:23 PM WST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group: System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM: db2-2.4.14-4.src.rpm
Size: 293071                           License: BSD
Packager: Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
The Berkeley Database (Berkeley DB) is a programmatic toolkit that provides
embedded database support for both traditional and client/server applications.
This library used to be part of the glibc package.
[root@possum /]#

Note the last line.

O listed the contents of db1 (because it doesn't have that final statement):
[root@possum /]# rpm -ql db1
/usr/bin/db1_dump185
/usr/lib/libdb.so.2
/usr/lib/libdb1.so.2
/usr/share/doc/db1-1.85
/usr/share/doc/db1-1.85/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/db1-1.85/README
/usr/share/doc/db1-1.85/changelog
[root@possum /]#

and checked on RHL 6.x:
[summer@possum summer]$ rpm -qif /usr/lib/libdb.so
Name: glibc-devel                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version: 2.1.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release: 22                            Build Date: Mon 15 Jan 2001
11:51:36 PM WST
Install date: Thu 01 Feb 2001 03:07:53 PM WST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group: Development/Libraries         Source RPM: glibc-2.1.3-22.src.rpm
Size: 34906002                         License: LGPL
Packager: Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
The glibc-devel package contains the header and object files necessary
for developing programs which use the standard C libraries (which are
used by nearly all programs).  If you are developing programs which
will use the standard C libraries, your system needs to have these
standard header and object files available in order to create the
executables.

Install glibc-devel if you are going to develop programs which will
use the standard C libraries.
[summer@possum summer]$

so this comes from glibc too. I'll leave you to check db3.

It looks to me that you can build mysql without these packages because
equivalent function is included in glibc 2.1.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.