Hello...

Tony Nugent wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has tried the new mail filter capability in
> recent versions of sendmail, and if so, how successful it is.
>
> It hasn't been included in the sendmail i386.rpm package for rh70
> (not suprised as it is considered beta), and when I tried to rebuild
> sendmail from the src.rpm it failed due to a missing db.h file.

        Install the db3-devel package.

>       <groan>
>
>       Which is very frustrating.... I have a fairly complete
>       development environment here, yet attempting to rebuild it
>       still failed.  I have all the dbm packages I can find
>       installed, the headers are in /usr/include/*/ directories.
>       How what this package built in the first place... on a
>       non-standard development box at redhat???  So how am I
>       supposed to know what db.h file I need to use?  Poor show.
>
>       src.rpm files should build out of the box, and if things are
>       missing on the build system, then the .spec file used to
>       build them should have EVERYTHING that is needed stated as a
>       requirement and complain and/or refuse to build them.

        I think db3-devel was there at some point, but db3 is only RH >=7.  With
RH 6.x the db.h is part of glibc-devel.  This requirement is a tricky one.

>       </groan>
>
> With the explosion of email-born viruses, I really need to start
> looking at implementing mail filtering asap.  And not only for
> local->out and remote->in, but also for relayed mail.  milter
> appears to be the only real alternative for sendmail, most other
> things I've looked at so far that work with sendmail don't seem to
> handle non-local relay mail at all.

        That would be way cool.  In the latest sendmail rpm @
http://people.redhat.com/laroche/ has commented out support for AUTH
relaying.  Uncoment these:

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl

and m4 > /etc/sendmail.cf .  IMHO, these should have been in by default,
but...

> Any help or suggestions or alternatives (that work with sendmail)
> would be most appreciated by any gurus here.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Christopher McCrory
http://www.pricegrabber.com

"Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"