Trond Eivind Glomsrřd wrote:
> Dominik Mierzejewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[snip]
> > Specifically, I have built many packages for myself based on RH spec
> > files but using new versions of software, for example:
> >
> > postfix-20010222
> > tin-1.5.8
>
> We're generally not interested in changes like that...

Why? RH7 ships with tin-1.4.4, with which I had some problems. 1.5.7 and .8
are much better IMHO. Also postfix-200005?? included in RH7 was broken
and I had to make a package out of a new version to make things work.
(RawHide's version 20010202 is good).

> of course, you
> can send a mail to the developer telling him

I'll do that.

> (no female developers in the OS Engineering group)

Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :-) It's a pity, though...

> that a new version is available.
[snip - why there may be no new version packaged]

Thanks for the explanation.

> > I know there is contrib.redhat.com, but only non-distribution packages
> > should go there, right?
>
> I don't think that's a policy, but I would recommend users to stay
> away from those and use our packages :)
>
> > (Do any of the developers look there anyway?).
>
> I don't.

But there surely exist some quality (although home-made) packages
for RH, that never make it either into the main distro or into powertools.
I'm not saying they are to be found at contrib, but still.

So what use is contrib for if you can't find anything worthy there?
I think there should be some clearly stated policy/guidelines (or is
there one already?) that non-RedHat packagers could follow, so that their
packages could be considered as "RedHat-compatible". And then have
someone at RH "approve" such pkg and put it on some list or whatever.
(I think Debian has such policy.)

So, what do you think?

--
"You forgot the first rule of a fanatic. When you become
 obsessed with the enemy, you *become* the enemy."