> What good would it be fore me to update my kernel to a new one?  I am
> using
> 2.0.27.  Also, are the kernels the same whether they be for Slackware,
> or
> Red Hat?

        [Tempel, Philippe]  You will need a new kernel if
        you want some new features like Joliet and FAT32
        filesystem support.  If you're happy and don't see
        your needs changing for now, then it's perfectly fine
        to stay with an older kernel release.  Not everyone
        needs (or wants) to be on the bleeding edge... 8-)

        The kernels from all distrubutions come from the
        same source code base.  The differences are how
        they are compiled.  Slackware usually likes to
        include everything into the kernel to make a large
        monolithic one.  Whereas Redhat compiles into
        loadable modules and uses kerneld to dynamically
        load them as it needs them.  Which is better is a
        matter of taste.  I like the modular appreach since
        it made the configuration of my sound card easier.
        On the other hand, the monolithic kernels tend to
        use less memory if you only compile in the things
        you need.  Some also argue that why bother to
        modularize the stuff that you know you will always
        need (like IDE and/or SCSI drivers).  You be the
        judge.