Aeryn wrote:

Now, I would like to upgrade to the glibc 2.3 version. I have been told to use the:

glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-debug-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-profile-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-utils-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm

That set of packages should be fine. You don't need to install any that aren't on your system already, so either remove glibc-debug, glibc-profile, and glibc-utils, or upgrade using:

rpm -Fvh glibc*.rpm

I mean, I don't remember it last summer being so difficult to upgrade the
glibc (ok, I am a little rusty with my linux...it has been a while)

In the past, the i386 and i686 packages didn't have feature sets that varied the way that these packages do.