On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:17:06PM -0700, Rene's Caltech Email wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:57:02PM -0700, Rene's Caltech Email wrote:
> > > does it mean that if the service is running then the port is running as
> > > well?  i scanned two different linux servers...the port is open in server
> > > but not on the other one...i tried the commands u told me about but it
> > > seems it just restarted the service.  any other suggestions?
> >
> > The imap services is invoked by xinetd, so it doesn't really "run".
> > To confirm that xinetd will start imap, do:
> > # netstat -apn | grep 0.0.0.0:143
> > You should see a line with LISTEN on the end.
> >
> > If it's listening, but you can't get to it from another server, you may
> > have it blocked by your firewall rules.  I don't do iptables, so if
> > that's the problem, post back to the list and get somebody too tell you
> > how to open up the port through your firewall.

> okay i tried: netstat -apn | grep 0.0.0.0:143 on the server with the
> problem and it didnt listen.  does anybody know how to do iptables/mess
> with the firewall rules?

If you don't see the LISTEN line, then you have not yet configured the
service properly.  It doesn't matter if the firewall is on or off,
xinetd needs to be able to listen first.

Please confirm that xinetd is really enabling the imap service:

# chkconfig --list | grep -i imap

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]