Mike Morris wrote:

> The IR and UV are much more intense at 6,000 feet elevation...
> You can gut a sunburn in an hour in the middle of December
> while swapping antennas or mounting feedline on a tower...
> been there, done that.

Wow... I've just lived with that for so long out here in the Rockies,
I'd forgotten to mention it.

Just about anything "plastic" will be dead, cracked, brittle, and
generally screwed up in about 5 years outdoors at 11,000' MSL.

It also relates to why we don't use fiberglass sticks up here as much...
UV tears them up too, along with the usual problems of heavy wind, snow
(sandblasting the antenna with 100 MPH wind and crystallized snow can do
LOTS of damage to fiberglass -- while it usually just shines up the
Aluminum!), etc.

And hardline... even good stuff gets real brittle up there after 'bout
10 years...

Sunblock with an SPF of 15 isn't even close to what you need to do an
antenna party day out here.  You'd still be fried.  SPF 30 minimum, and
you still might be a little pink if you have a light complexion.

Also after any kind of physical exertion (antenna raising), you're
panting... the air's pretty thin up there.

I got a little sunburn the day I took the photo that's on the front of
my Mac.com website...
<http://web.mac.com/wy0x/iWeb/Site/About%20Me.html>

But that beautiful blue sky is soooooo worth it.  :-)

Just for fun I was just counting the fiberglass sticks vs. the
folded-dipole arrays there in the photo (and that shot is missing a
whole cross-arm.  The towers are 85' high...).  They're actually
surprisingly about 50/50 there in that shot.  But I know who's antennas
are which, and none of the hams are using fiberglass up there that I
know of, and the rest are commercial/government systems of one kind or
another...

Reviewing that photo vs. some older ones, I see at least two
stabilization bars that have disappeared for the fiberglass sticks
too... or were taken down/causing problems, whatever... they're missing
in that photo and they were there before.

You can also see one of the fiberglass sticks on the far right tower is
broken... apparently someone noticed it was coming apart in the middle
and they bent it back and stuffed it into the pegs on that leg of the
tower, in some vain attempt to keep it from snapping in half in later
wind storms.  I'm sure the wind will work it loose and snap it this
winter.  (If I knew who's it was, I'd let 'em know but there's a lot of
stuff up there, as you can see...)  Plus being stuffed into the tower
can't be helping their pattern or their SWR any...

Nate WY0X