The last card-cage based repeater I did (a Micor, which uses a card cage like
a MSR) I did a bit differently.

The squelch gate card mod (the one with the DB connector and a 3-pole
switch) basically turns it into a two-mode card - mode one is a paddle
board that connects a outside controller, mode two is a squelch gate card.

Rather than mod a squelch gate card I took a timeout timer card and
stripped it. A second one provided some more pins for the connectors.
On the front panel I added the DB connector for connecting an outboard
controller.  I added a piece of perfboard on standoffs for the LED
drivers, etc.

This way I can plug in an unmodified squelch gate card into its slot
for use as a kerchunk box, or plug in the paddle board for all-the-
bells and whistles controller.

Good working squelch gate cards are too hard to come by to take
a chance on messing one up.

Mike WA6ILQ