Harry Mueller wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>         I just got off the telephone with a client who was asking me
> to upgrade their backup system. They are currently using retrospect
> 4.3 on a Mac IIsi via 10BT on a switched 10/100 ethernet (client 10,
> servers 100)to their DDS3 tape drive. It seems that the IIsi is dying
> rather quickly and they want to change the backup computer to an old
> 6100 they have lying around.
>
>         The big question:
>
> What would give better performance, a G3 upgrade to the 6100 or a 100
> base T card. I can only do one since the 6100 only has one slot.

Go for the G3 upgrade. The 6100 is too slow to fill a 10-T connection
and a lot of Retrospect's requirements are RAM-based. Make sure the 6100
is not short of RAM: 64 MB recommended.

--
Best Regards,

Chuck Hornish, KF6YBC
Narnia Information Systems, Inc.
Fountain Valley, California 92708 USA

Voice: 714-963-7742      FAX: 714-593-5808

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Delivering precisely defined database solutions since 1992.