On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Michael Redinger wrote:

> Also, as of the netwinder.org autobuild system: is it available for
> download or did anybody ask them about it?

freely available from its CVS -- ask Ralph for an account or I
can post the tarballs for the two forks

> Regarding beehive - I think it not even worth asking Red Hat to make
> it available (for now) ...

see below

> An interresting mail from Russ Herrold regarding "reproduceable builds":
> http://www.owlriver.com/projects/packaging/reproduceable-builds.txt

I am in process on a longish post summarizing build systems
and some issues -- will send more once I am happy with it.

> > > The build system that yellowdog uses. But I think it, like beehive, is
> > > considered too important to release sort of thing so it might not ever
> > > see the light of day.

smile -- nothing so sinister.  As my February post, cited
above noted, there is the fiction that building the final pass
of a distribution is the nice clean product of a finite state
machine.

Rather. a distribution snapshot is the delicate creation of a
fragile and cranky collection of tools which changes and is
repaired daily to accomodate the wierd variants in packaging
and upstream sources one enounters.  Toss in arch, and
backward compability issues, and it is a multi-dimentional
monster.

More later.

-- Russ Herrold

rhel-rebuild mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria