On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, twinsen wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask this.
>
> I have a working 2.1AS installation. I now want to
> upgrade to an errata kernel, so:
>
> I downloaded the SRPM and managed to build a smp
> errata kernel successfully for i686.
> The problem is now that I need to install the HP
> support pack for my DL380. This support pack requires
> the kernel source for the currently running errata
> kernel. I see that installing the source RPM puts it
> under usr/src/redhat/SOURCE, but it seems to be a base
> kernel which is still bzip2'ed with a whole lot of
> patches (.patch files)
>
> Must I now extract the bzip2 image and then apply the
> patches to build the complete source tree for that
> particular errata kernel? If so, how?

No!

> I hope this makes sense?

You need the kernel-source package. The easiest thing to do
is do rpm --rebuild --target i386-redhat-linux --without boot \
path/to/your/kernel-2.4/src.rpm

You might have to play with the --with/without options to get it
so that it just builds the kernel-source rpm. Otherwise you get a
bunch of kernel rpms you do not want and waste a lot of time.

HTH,

Tom

rhel-rebuild mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria