Hi Toby,

There is a rarely used option "disable_local_bucket_check" in Riak CS.
I don't know it solves your case, please let me mention it.

To use it, first set it in app.config of riak-cs (or
application:set_env/3 in shell),
{riak_cs, [...
               {disable_local_bucket_check, true},
               ...]},
Then create bucket as usual (e.g. s3cmd mb ...).

These steps solves one of partial update patterns that Andrew mentioned.

Thanks,
Shino