Excellent parenting is vital, but it's far from the only real solution.

When society as a whole is biased, it's easy to see how even people who were told they could do anything (and rightly believed that) could find their desires thwarted.

On top of parenting *and* doing what we can to improve things at all levels of education we have to look at what we as a community can do within and around ourselves.

We can work with people to improve diversity by working harder to find excellent speakers who also happen to not be (white) men. By doing this, by showing we're interested in diverse voices, we will attract more excellent speakers and improve the meeting and our community.

And we should lead, because I've always believed that that is what the RIPE community does.

Brian

Brian Nisbet, Network Operations Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Registered in Ireland, no 275301  tel: +35316609040
web: http://www.heanet.ie/