Hi!

As some of you may be aware, some years ago, Qt has decided to abandon
their "webkit" based HTML-render in favor for a "webengine" (aka chrome)
based renderer. This decision was quite unfortunate for RKWard, as
QWebEngine is not available for MinGW on Windows, while that is the
compiler used by R on Windows.

Despite of this, the future of QtWebKit looks uncertain, and we should
not rely on it being around in the long term. Therefore, RKWard can now
be compiled using QWebEngine (the default if the corresponding
development package is installed in version 5.12 or greater), while
QtWebKit is still supported as a fallback.

Most of our PPAs[1] are now using this (those with Qt >= 5.12), as does
our Mac build[2], and the MSVC-based Windows build[3]. I'd like to
ask you to test this, i.e. browse RKWard internal pages, R help pages,
RKWard output page or other local HTML files. In particular, if you are
using RKWard on Windows, I'd like to encourage you to try our MSVC
based build, as this *might* turn out to be our single
viable future-proof option.

If you are unsure, which renderer your version of RKWard is using,
you'll find a line stating that near the top of the output from
rk.sessionInfo().

Thanks!
Thomas

[1] https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel