Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
<http://csce.gov/_images/headers/print_pressreleases.gif>

234 Ford House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-6460
Hon. Benjamin L. Cardin, Chairman
Hon. Alcee L. Hastings, Co-Chairman
For Immediate Release   www.csce.gov <http://www.csce.gov/>
Media Contact: Neil Simon
202.225.1901
October 8, 2009

HELSINKI COMMISSION APPLAUDS UNVEILING OF ROMANIA HOLOCAUST MONUMENT

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Helsinki Commission today commended the unveiling in
Bucharest of the Monument to the Victims of the Holocaust in Romania.

During World War II, Romania's pro-Nazi government of Marshal Ion Antonescu
was responsible for the deaths of 280,000-380,000 Jews and more than 11,000
Roma, according to an international panel led by Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Elie Wiesel. The Romanian government officially recognized the panel's 2004
findings and recommendations, which included building the national memorial
to the victims of the Holocaust in Romania on public property in Bucharest.

"After decades of denying or minimizing its past with respect to Romania's
role in the Holocaust, the unveiling of the monument builds on the
significant strides made over the last few years in Romania's recovery of
its true history," said U.S. Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD), Chairman of the
Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (U.S. Helsinki Commission).
"I applaud Romania's leadership for the progress they have made in finally
acknowledging Romania's wartime role in this unspeakable tragedy."

Co-Chairman Congressman Alcee L. Hastings (D-FL) added: "While I applaud the
creation of a memorial to the Holocaust victims in Romania, it should not
have taken international panels, official reports, and global pressure to
make this memorial a reality. History is filled with events we lament and
decisions we regret. That does not mean we should hide from our past. I'm
proud of the Romanian leadership for creating a tangible, visible reminder
to all future generations that honors the memory of the victims of the
Holocaust in their country."

"Romanian officials are to be applauded for unveiling a monument to the
thousands of victims of the Holocaust in that country. More than 60 years
after World War II, such a memorial is long overdue in Romania," said
Ranking Republican Commissioner Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS).

"After decades of official falsification of Romania's role in the Holocaust,
the Romanian people, thanks to the work of a new generation of
post-communist and post-nationalist historians, are at last being exposed to
the truth about the crimes their countrymen committed during World War II.
And many of today's Romanians are showing themselves true patriots-they
freely acknowledge what happened and say 'Never again!'" said Ranking
Republican Commissioner Congressman Chris Smith (R-NJ).

The monument includes a central pavilion with names of Jewish and Romani
victims, desecrated tombstones from Bucharest and Odessa cemeteries and
other symbols of value to each minority group.

The Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, also known as the U.S.
Helsinki Commission, is an independent agency of the Federal Government
charged with monitoring compliance with the Helsinki Accords and advancing
comprehensive security through promotion of human rights, democracy, and
economic, environmental and military cooperation in 56 countries. The
Commission consists of nine members from the U.S. Senate, nine from the
House of Representatives, and one member each from the Departments of State,
Defense, and Commerce.

# # #

http://csce.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContentRecords.ViewDetail
<http://csce.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContentRecords.ViewDetail&ContentRecor
d_id=814&ContentType=P&ContentRecordType=P>
&ContentRecord_id=814&ContentType=P&ContentRecordType=P

----------------------------

Vali
"Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions are the chief mark of
greatness."
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know
peace."
Aboneaza-te la  <mailto:ngo_list-subscr...@yahoogroups.com> ngo_list: o
alternativa moderata (un pic) la [ngolist]
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

<<print_pressreleases.gif>>

Raspunde prin e-mail lui