On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Belal Salem wrote:

> Thanks for explaining that!
> But now, all the RPM packages that I have this issue with are installing
> correctly with RPM-4.x as that the directory structure are listed when using
> -qlp, but with RPM-5.3.11, the package manager complain about the directories
> until I use the --nodeps to workaround it, hence it installs correctly and it
> does create the needed directories.

Instead of --nodeps, try --noparentdirs/--nolinktos disablers.

Yes. I've described another "recommended" procedure to track
the "orphan" (i.e. not explicitly included in any package) directories
and "dangling" (i.e. the end-point is not in any package) symlinks.

To mask a single directory during development/bootstrapping
until you can correct what is intrinsically a packaging flaw (imho):

        mkdir -p /etc/rpm/sysinfo
        echo "/some/orphan/directory/" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Dirnames
        echo "/some/dangling/symlink: >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Filelinktos

You -- in fact -- can satisfy any missing dependency using /etc/rpm/sysinfo:
        echo "libmissing.so" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providename
        echo "awol-package = 1:2.3" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providename

If you don't wish the manual one-by-one setup tedium, then
use --noparentdirs --nolinktos (or --nodeps) while installing into a chroot
(with --root /some/chroot) and then extract *all* of the
parentdir/linkto flaws like
        rpm -Va --nofiles | grep '^/' | sort -u > /tmp/Dirnames.new

Compiling the disabler directly into RPM prevents usage. You can do
that as well if you wish: just its "Have it your own way!" supported
(and I am not the person to ask for support of what I believe isn't
a feature).

hth

73 de Jeff