http://news.kornet.net/view.cgi?group=rec.sport.football.college&msgid=1137580

      Wreck of THE Jackie Sherrill

      (Sung to the tune of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald)

      From Bowden-and-sons to the checkered-hat one,
      No coach was ever more storied.
      He picked up the pieces and cleaned off the feces
      And took all his programs to glory.
      He came to Starkville in the emerald hills
      And gave losing tradition the heave-ho.
      His team was undaunted but finally haunted
      By the Ghost of the Two Balls of Bevo.

      The balls they were shorn from the famous long horn
      Before Jackie's second Bowl of Cotton.
      Bevo let out a wail, his balls dropped in a pail,
      But he swore they would not be forgotten.
      The legend increased from Texas on east
      Of the man that they called Jacquie Sheryl.
      But after 2002 with Bevo's spirit renewed
      The winds carried warnings of peril.

      August roared in, like a lion and then
      The Ducks had poor Jackie reelin'
      Each player knew and Sheryl did too
      'Twas the ghost of the two balls come stealin'.
      Two road games then were played versus C-U-S-A,
      And the green wave washed over and swallowed 'em.
      When the next week appeared, Kevin Fant disappeared,
      Crying "Houston we do have a problem!."

      The Tigers came to town and tore Davis Wade down,
      Jackie said "let's play Vandy and recover."
      After a couple of wins, Auburn caved the roof in,
      And he said "my career here is over."
      He called a news conference and issued this promise:
      "I'll do what I can for this season."
      But Bevo's two balls whipped up such a squall
      That the RUTSings defied any reason.

      If the NCAA had not stood in his way,
      Or his quarterback did not need glasses.
      If they'd had a backfield or a recruiting yield
      Or the receivers held on to their passes.
      If the ghost of Bevo had not haunted him so
      '03 would have been one to remember
      But all that remains are the scores and the names
      And the promise that died in September.

      Fifteen miles away where the snail darter plays,
      The Tenn-Tom sleeps in the hillocks.
      And in the meadows where the goldenrod grows,
      Graze the cows unaware of the bollocks.
      Past the next hill sits the town of Starkville,
      Exorcised of the ghost of old Bevo.
      And the quiet cowbells tell a tattle-tale tale
      Of a legend that ended in sorrow.

kurt