Newbie question: how do I prevent your code snippet from becoming an n-
fetch?

Eager loading will work, but if all I want are the codes, then eager

Yes, yes, I know - don't over optimize. But if I know how to optimize,
at least I can put a comment in the code to remind me when I get
twitter-size traffic. :-)

-- Bosco