On 19 Nov 2008, at 10:25, Frederick Cheung wrote:

>> I want to enable gzip component on my site
>> and i m using mongrel server
>> can you please tell me how to do it
>
> If you're proxying through apache or nginx then the easiest way is to
> get them to do gzipping. I don't believe mongrel will do it for you
> out of the box.

You might also have a look at a search engine called "Google". Quite a
few people use it nowadays to find information quickly. For example, a
simple google search on "mongrel output compression" gave me this as
the first result, "mongrel compression" yields the same page as the
fourth result:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongrel-compres/
If you're in doubt, that was a little bit of sarcasm and a pretty
please to at least have a little search before posting these kinds of
questions.

There was also a solution packed in a rails plugin a while ago. Don't
know if it still works, and it's certainly not as good a solution as
apache or nginx, but you could try the better output compression
plugin (http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/
better_output_compression). The big question however is if it will
actually improve performance or slow it down.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt