Frederick Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does both as far as I know ( I only had an xsd anyway)

Thanks. the xmllint help says
--schema schema : do validation against the WXS schema

I have never seen "WXS" as an abreviation for XML Schema Definition
files.

I now made a small rails test helper like this:

require 'open3'
class ActionController::TestCase
  def assert_xsd_validity(xsd, xml = @response.body )
    assert test(?e, xsd), "#{xsd} does not exist"
    xml_temp_file = Tempfile.new("xsd_helper_tempfile")
    xml_temp_file.write xml
    xml_temp_file.close
    command_line = "/usr/bin/env xmllint -noout --schema #{xsd}
#{xml_temp_file.path}"
    err = ""
    Open3.popen3(command_line){|stdin, stdout, stderr|
      stdin.close
      out = stdout.read
      err = stderr.read
    }
    assert_equal "#{xml_temp_file.path} validates\n", err

Jarl