oh, got it Frederick,

To be more self sufficient, how would I be able to confirm for myself
exactly what the Rails controller framework is looking for when it's
trying to create models out of the param's it gets (i.e. behind the
scenes before it gets to your code)?

If I had a way of confirming this then I could cement my understanding
of why Ryan's extra method made the difference (as an example).

Do you have to pretty much look at Rails code to have derived this
understanding?   Like it's not even clear to me which rails tool is
being used to recursively build the models out of the params, as it
must get called in the rails code.  Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again