Also, what were exact steps you took to download and install latest
version of rails?

As someone mentioned above, you need to be in the root directory of
your app.  What does that mean?
When you first started developing your app, you probably did a command
like:
rails new my_app_name, where "my_app_name" is whatever you want your
new app to be called.
That created a new directory or folder, using that same name.  You
need to get inside that directory before
typing

rails sever.