Thanks gerbdla,
  Bascially "CustomerService" is a controller (customer_controller.rb)
that handles the operations concerning a Customer object in my
application.  This customer object is also represented by a table in the
db.  Now I have other controllers that handle other aspects of the
application, however all of them are dependent on the existence of a
Customer object/row reachable through the session.

My application frontend is done in ExtJS, so it isn't rendered by the
usual RoR framework.

I was thinking of adding a filter to my application controller which
would verify and/or create the customer object should one not exists in
the session, but I was unsure if this was best practice or not.

If I've left more questions than answers please let me know.