Okay, one last time, and I tested something similar to your application this
time. It's much much simpler than we've been trending.

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  # Include default devise modules. Others available are:
  # :token_authenticatable, :encryptable, :confirmable, :lockable, :timeoutable
and :omniauthable
  devise :database_authenticatable, :registerable,
         :recoverable, :rememberable, :trackable, :validatable

  # Setup accessible (or protected) attributes for your model
  attr_accessible :name, :email, :password, :password_confirmation, :remember_me
  has_one :wishlist
  after_create :assign_wishlist

  private
  def assign_wishlist
    self.update_attributes :wishlist => Wishlist.create(:user_id => self.id)

class Wishlist < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :user
  has_many :wishlist_items
end

Please give that a try, or at least delete my other helpful suggestions, which
didn't seem to work with a has_one relationship.

Walter