Walter,

Sunday, April 15, 2012, 7:02:36 PM, you wrote:

WLD> On Apr 15, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

>> Back in 2007 Leonard Richardson & Sam Ruby wrote a book called *RESTFUL Web
>> Services* (O’Reilley Media Inc.)
>>

>> On page 173 they wrote:
>> - - - -
>> These two resources, a list and an item in the list, show up all the time.
>> Every database table is a list that contains items. Anything that can be
>> represented as an RSS or Atom feed is a list that contains items. Rails
>> defines a RESTful architecture that makes a simplifying assumption: every
>> resource you expose can be made to fit one of these two patterns. This makes
>> things easy most of the time, but the cost is aggravation when you try to
>> use Rails controllers to expose resources that don't fit this simple model.
>> - - - -
>>
>> Has this changed?  They wrote that paragraph for Rails 1.2 but I don't know
>> Rails well enough to know if Rails can be RESTful with more complex patterns.

WLD> Do you have an example of what you mean by a more complex pattern? In my
experience, with the right controller methods and views, you can expose almost
anything as RSS. The cost is the coupling of your views to the current state of
the data.

WLD> Walter

I don't have and example.  I'm still learning REST and Rails.

The authors of the book don't say more about it.  They presume, I suppose, that
the reader is familiar with Rails and understands all the intricacies of REST.

--
Best regards,
 Ralph                            mailto:ral...@dos32.com