On Friday, May 4, 2012 8:56:30 AM UTC-3, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> I am trying to install the ruby-odbc gem on windows 2008 server
> Enterprise SP2  64 bit  version
> I have installed the devkit for ruby and it is also getting installed.
> When trying to install this ruby-odbc gem some how make.exe file is
> getting crashing and I am unable to install it further.
> I am able to install the same gem on a 32 bit machine but the same
> procedure does not work out on 64 environment.
> Following are the details of ruby and gem version
> ruby 1.8.7 (2011-12-28 patchlevel 357) [i386-mingw32]
> gem version is 1.3.7
>
> Kindly suggest and help me in resolving this issue as this server is
> based on production environment and it is very critical
> Quick help is very much appreciated.

To solve ruby-odbc issue, other than contacting the gem author and ask for
support I might not have a solution for you in that area.

However, there is another solution, and is use TinyTDS, which provides the
lower layer access to SQL Server by using FreeTDS (the cross platform
library for SQL Server)

https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/tiny_tds

TinyTDS has replaced the ruby-odbc backend used by Rails with great results
and less problems.

Since you're posting on a Rails group, most likely you're using Rails, so
the SQLServer adapter (which wraps TinyTDS) will be of help:
https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/activerecord-sqlserver-adapter

In the Wiki there are comments about the pros of this alternative:
https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/activerecord-sqlserver-adapter/wiki

Hope that helps.
--
Luis Lavena