Did you watch this one
http://railscasts.com/episodes/111-advanced-search-form
for a search without plugins, I think it covers well the basics of the
subject to let you improve it.

this is the "advanced search form" episode.
If you were to find yourself a bit lost, there is a "simple search form one"
http://railscasts.com/episodes/37-simple-search-form

(those are old episode in rails 1 or rails 2, so there is a little bit of
transcription to make, but it should be pretty easy to follow still)