> What you really want is:
> /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p root create
> depot_development

Interesting, thanks... but now I am getting a problem with the password.
Observe:

bio4054059:depot rmorourk$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin -u
root -p root create depot_development
Enter password:
/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin: Unknown command: 'root'
bio4054059:depot rmorourk$

When prompted for the password I typed root - which is what the password
is (at least in the database.yml file) but it gives me an unknown
command output?