I am a little late in discussion but I've the solution to the problem :)

If you are using rails 4 then try this.

@users = User.all.paginate(page: params[:page]

Note that User.all will be an ActiveRelation on which paginate method works.

If you are using rails 3 then try this.

@users = User.where('').paginate(page: params[:page])

The reason to use an empty where is because where will return the
ActiveRelation which is more efficient instead of loading an array using
User.all.

Note that User.all will return ActiveRelation in rails 4 and in rails 3 it
will return an Array.