Does having VMWare as an additional layer create any inefficiencies or
problems ? I think at one time I shyed away from this idea because I
was affraid of blowing away the OS that my laptop came with.I had
brought my laptop to a linux group a few years ago and they couldn't
get linux on my laptop without blowing away the OS and seemed
reluctant to try it. At any rate, the perceived complexity of the task
made me hesitate to seriously consider it at the time.

 I also seemed to have the impression that linux distros where safer
with a desktop than a laptop and the only safe distro for laptops was
SUSE.Others may have problems with your printer, the wireless card etc

 The backup of the OS to an external drive I am not familiar with, but
I'll have to research it. If I eventually buy a new laptop, I could
possibly play around with my old laptop for experimentation purposes
perhaps. Right now I have a HP Pavillion DV1000 with about 30 gig
drive which I bought brand new in May 2006.

 The only other stuff I had heard of on Macs is that software
companies often loose money in developing for macs and seemed to
question if macs will be around for years to come. Also, mouse
functionality on macs is allegedly less convenient, maybe there is no
right click ?