On 20 February 2015 at 00:01, TTambe <tambe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I actually ended up doing this which worked:
>
>     <% last_artist ||= nil %>

>       <th>Artist</th>
>       <th></th>
>       <th>Album</th>
> <% @pin_albums.each do |pin| %>
>   <% if last_artist != pin.artist %>
>   <% else %>
>   <% end %>
>   <% last_artist = pin.artist %>
> <% end %>

You are right in that the key was to initialise last_artist at an
appropriate scope.
There are an awful lot of repeated lines there, Suppose you wanted to
change the detail of the contents of the last cell in each row, you
would have to change it in two places.  You should put the if
statement round just the first cell not round the whole row.  so for
that cell use something like
  <%= (last_artist == pin.artist)  ?  ''   :   pin.artist %>
Or use an if statement inside the <td> </td> if you prefer.  That is
two single quotes in the line above of course.

Colin